Hello There, Guest!  

How much usage is acceptable in shared hosting?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

martin  

Threads: 4

I signed up with a shared hosting provider a few months ago. Recently I have got a complaint from them that I am using too much RAM. They suggested me to upgrade to their managed VPS service, but it is too expensive for me. They told me I'm using consistently 400-500 MB RAM and 0.3-0.5 CPU core. I have no idea about those statistics, but is it too much in shared hosting?

bernard  

Threads: 1

How much are you paying them per month? High usage at high price is acceptable.

martin  

I'm paying $2/month, is it too little for the usage of my site?

thomas  

Threads: 0

I don't know if they still can have a profit if they are selling $2 for 400 Mb RAM. But that usage may not need a VPS. You can ask them for an upgrade in their shared server. If they don't upgrade, better to move to another provider. It is a hassle to manage a VPS if you just need to use for a few personal websites.

martin  

Yea, that is what I am thinking too. I don't have experience with managing a server, so definitely I will request them for an upgrade to a custom shared hosting plan. I'm already in their highest plan currently.

Thanks all for helpful advices.

robert  

Threads: 0

I doubt they will not be willing to make an exception to upgrade for you, since it require them to modify their server maintenance scripts. I suggest you to use a VPS instead. Management of a VPS is very easy. You just need to install Virtualmin/Webmin to your VPS then you can manage everything from the control panel. Angel