Hello There, Guest!  

How to become a web hosting provider

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average

simon  

Threads: 2

I have just graduated from an IT management course and I want to become a web hosting provider. Web hosting is an interesting job that I think I will spend my life with it.

Anyone has any experience to share with me, so that I can become a successful provider?

durand  

Threads: 1

The entry barrier for the web hosting industry is very low. Everything is ready made. You don't even need to know about commandline you still can run the hosting business.

Amongst the most needed skill set, the skill to communicate and handle your customer ticket is the most important. Nowadays this industry is super saturated, it is difficult to get clients, it is easy to make a mistake that can ruin your business.

bernard  

Threads: 0

If you are just starting out. It is best to buy a reseller account from a reputable hosting company. Try to promote your business in a niche forum, such as this one. You will have an idea about the work you need to do. After getting familiar with the work, you can start building your own servers.

simon  

Threads: 2

I did a research about this field, and I think I have enough fund to try this business for a year or so. The thing I worry the most is how to protect the name for my company. I have seen many negative reviews for other companies, and I think they hardly get any more customers. A single negative review can dramatically bring down your business.

bernard  

You are very right. That is main reason why I didn't enter this business. However, there is a very good tip to avoid the negative review, that is to offer full refund immediately if your clients request for it. It will not help you 100% of the case though.

durand  

Threads: 1

(07-23-2017, 06:13 PM) simon Wrote: A single negative review can dramatically bring down your business.

What @bernard said is quite right. The most important thing is to always give refund if your client ask for it. You would not need to worry much about a few negative comments. It is only a disaster for small company only. If you are serious about your business, you will have plenty of happy customer. Show them the negative comments and kindly ask them to chime in to share their experience. That way can help strengthen your business and brand name.

thomas  

In order to be successful in web hosting business. You need to understand how billing system works, how to manage accounts, how to debug the server if anything happens. You are familiar with IT skills, that is an advantage, but you also need to check your ticket system regularly to provide timely support for your needy customers. If your customers are happy, they will renew their service. In general. If you have interest for the work you are doing, I think you will grow well, but it will take time.